Tuesday, January 16, 2007

It's not midnight, yet.....

I tilted this picture because that is how my world feels right now, a bit off. I think I have bought buttermilk MAYBE a half-dozen times in my life. Well, I have now bought it almost a half-dozen times since January 1! And I also remember some of you who said you had trouble buying organic milk because of price....well not only does my Kroger not have it, but the free range organic eggs are 3.00 a dozen, while the regular eggs are 1.50 for 3 dozen! We use about 2-3 dozen every few days. Now I know why I shop at my little ethnic value market, where I have better selection, better food, and much better prices. But what silly person goes out at 10:30 pm in search of organic whole buttermilk and free range organic eggs!

Update on Coco, thank you all for you concern, thoughts, hugs and prayers. I am holding my breath, he is walking (even up and down a few stairs) as of 10pm tonight, but we have had to force feed him broth a few times today because he won't eat or drink anything. I am kind of afraid he has given up. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Now to go soak the flour and oatmeal in the buttermilk I just had to go get tonight!

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Okay, I give up...Why are you using such volumes of buttermilk? : )

Sandie said...

It is a Nourishing Traditions thing :) all grains need to be soaked (usually in buttermilk) for 12-24 hours before using. Since I am making all our bread products now, I am soaking lots of grain. I still use water and lemon or water and whey for about 1/2 the soaks, but I am slowly using more buttermilk.

RedGypsie said...

I go through a lot of buttermilk too :-). Sandie, you need some laying hens girlfriend! I can't do $3.00 eggs either; we go through about 4-5 dozen a week around here. I've been buying what I call "the gross eggs" until my hens get going faster and I'm getting 12 layers in a few weeks from a friend who is moving. You could get chicks this spring from Murray McMurray but it will be fall before they lay. Still, at least at the end you get great eggs much more cheaply! And goats and chickens coexist well!

RedGypsie said...

Oh P.S...I still soak our grains and beans in water and whey. The buttermilk only soaks ww flours for baked goods and things it's an ingredient in.

LauraLiz said...

I really like the tilted photo.

Thanks for the update on Coco. Once I made it through the 365 blogs, I was going to email. Again, pets are such good friends.

Dancingirl said...

Glad Coco is doing better.

I like the off-kilter picture, though I'm sorry you'r off-kilter.

my15minutes said...

I like your pic, and congrats on hanging with your new diet!