Monday, May 28, 2007

Mom's Strawberry Shortcake...

She wouldn't let me take a picture of her, but she did let me take one of her shortcake :) For my mom strawberries are just an excuse to eat whipped cream! Here is the quick recipe we used tonight.

Make drop biscuts (your favorite recipe or Bisquik works great)

Top the biscuts with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and a little crunchy sugar. Bake until golden.

Slice strawberries, top with a tablespoon of raw sugar for every pound of berries, and leave in the fridge for a couple hours.

Just before serving, whip up heavy cream, a little powdered sugar and vanilla... (or use Cool Whip) and add a tablespoon of sour cream for every cup of whipped cream.

We also added almonds to ours tonight. I like have a variety of 'toppings' like a small sundae bar because half the fun is letting people make their own. It is interesting how some people (like Athena and I) load up on the berries, while others (like Dirk and my mom) load up on the cream.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny that we both posted shortcakes! And we even went so far as to talk about the recipes! LOL I have never added almonds or the spices. That sounds nice too.

Sandie said...

It seems we posted comments at the same time too :)

SUSAN said...

After seeing Julie's pics and now your delicious shortcake, I think I'll be adding strawberries and whipped cream to my grocery list.

Susan

Susanne Barrett said...

Yum! You both are making me crave cake and berries and cream.

Ampersand said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to get strawberries today too :).

Dancingirl said...

Yum! Between you and Julie I'm wanting some strawberry shortcake. And it's something I've never made!

Jess said...

Mmm, sounds good!

jo(e) said...

Surfing blogs is making me hungry!

BrightStar (B*) said...

whoa! Looks delicious!

MaryD said...

This looks yummy! The almonds are a great idea as a topper...

strawberries, whipped cream-- just too wonderful as a combination-- to eat and to photograph!